Skill Progressions & Scaling
Below are thorough, all-inclusive skill progression and scaling recommendations. The skill progressions are long, methodical, and ESSENTIAL to safe movement development. The emphasis is on body-positioning and mechanics, NOT on getting to the most advanced movement as fast as possible. You may spend months on a single element in these progressions.
Each scaling element includes a level of Mastery. Do not move to the next element until meeting Mastery in the previous element. Some portions of a progression contain two movements (you can work both simultaneously). Next to the Mastery Column is a Scaling Column. This describes how to scale the full movement if it’s prescribed in a WOD. This is the default template CFHR coaches use when determining how to scale athletes in WODs. Each movement has a linked video and description of key elements of the movement.
For steps with a rep-defined Master, here is a general rep progression to follow:
For Rep-Based movements, do each movement 2-3 days in a week. For some movements, like Rocking Tucks, rep count will be higher.
- Week 1: 4 sets of 4-6 reps
- Week 2: 4 sets of 5-8 reps
- Week 3: 5 sets of 8-10 reps
- Week 4: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Week 5: 5 sets of 10-15 reps (or mastery)
For Time-Based movements, do each movement 2-3 days per week. Move onto next movement in progression after mastery.
- Week 1: 3 sets of 8-15 seconds
- Week 2: 4 sets of 25-30 seconds
- Week 3: 5 sets of 25-30 seconds
- Week 4: 4 sets of 40-45 seconds
- Week 5: 5 sets of 45 seconds
- Week 5: 5 sets of 60 seconds (or master)